IN THE FACE OF DESPAIR is a collaborative storytelling game about a group of fae guardians fighting a doomed war in a forest that falls to vampiric corruption.
This game tells the story of the physical and magical corruption of the fae guardians as they lose more of their territory to the vampire lords. Their battle will ultimately bring them to the heart of their home, where the Lord of the Forest resides. Should they survive this long, this is where they will make their last stand against the vampires and their twisted servants.
This is not a hopeful story of magical beings successfully fighting off the invaders and saving their home. All they are doing is trying to buy enough time for survivors to leave behind the forest, to preserve what little magic they can. In hopes that one day, generations from now, others will rise against these vampire lords and destroy them.
This is a story of horror and desperation, of doomed protectors meeting tragic ends. It is very likely that all the fae guardians will die, be corrupted and enslaved by the vampirism, or—at best—be permanently scarred and haunted as they stay on the run and hide away in the darkness.
- This is a living game. Currently there are two incursions (adventures) included in Version 1.0, The Mirrored Darkness and The Disease of Time. In total there will be at least 5 more incursions.
- If you purchase the game now, you will receive all updates for free, and will not have to pay when the game increases in price.
- This game is Rooted in Trophy, and uses the lightweight, narrative-rich, and collaborative mechanics of the game TROPHY DARK.
- Very little prep is necessary, Incursions are very easy to run. High replay value!
- This is a fangame, but it's also a game that stands well on its own. It was made with love for Brinkwood: The Blood of Tyrants. In The Face Of Our Despair can be played as a prologue, or played through out a campaign as flashbacks. In the game of Brinkwood, brigands use ancient masks of Fae power to rise against their vampire oppressors and build a rebellion. In The Face Of Our Despair is the story of how each of these magical masks came to be, and the tragedy inherent in each one.
Would you like to play Brinkwood and help playtest this game? Please consider joining us at the Brinkwood discord server!